Friday, December 3, 2010

Review: Ice Breaker Frost

What comes to mind when you hear the word "Hershey"? Chocolate, right? But Hershey's also has other products that live up to its name. The new Ice Breakers Frost sugar-free mints is an example of one! They are available in two flavors: Wintercool and Peppermint. These two new mints join the line of Ice Breaker mints (first introduced in 1999) which already come in Coolmint, Wintergreen, Spearmint and Cinnamon flavors. I am fortunate enough to try the Wintercool mint and write an honest review of what I think about them.

First, the packaging. It comes in a easy pocket- or purse-sized container that stays shut when tossed around. The latch is at times hard to open, but I would rather it be hard to open then have little mints all over my purse. Each 1.2 oz container contains around 30 mints. Overall it's a great design.

Second, the mint itself. They are about the size of an M&M. The Wintercool mints, which is a flavor developed by Hershey's, has a minty flavor with a hint of that holiday scent you get while outside in the snow surrounded by pine trees. The mints are sugar-free which is a plus for diabetics and people watching what they eat. One mint contains fewer then 5 calories, no fat or sugar, and no sodium!

Hershey's states, “Ice Breakers Frost mints are designed for those who are looking for a strong mint, but don’t want to sacrifice taste." "The mints feature the same great flavor of our core Ice Breakers mints, which is then frosted with a combination of xylitol, cooling and flavor crystals for a uniquely powerful taste and texture,” said Anna Lingeris, spokeswoman for Ice Breakers Frost mints and The Hershey Company. “The result is a satisfying and powerfully cool taste experience.” When they say strong they mean it. I bit into one and it was intense to the point it kind of hurt. My mouth and throat felt like an ice cube had frozen them and breathing in was very cold. I drank some hot liquid and fixed myself right up. So I DO NOT suggest biting these like you do to tic tacs and such.

Overall, I enjoy these mints. They are the right size and flavor for when you need to cleanse your mouth after that onion ring you ate! You can get these at participating mass, grocery, drug and specialty retailers.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

so glad you shared that. I have some wintercools that I had taken occasionally--sucked 'em--no problem. Today I had 2 and bit into them and practically had a panic attack when my throat numbed up and actually hurt to swallow and breathe in. The rest are going in the trash. That was scary.

anonymous said...

I bit into one and it was extremely painful. I am not one to exaggerate much but these mints are definitely not for biting into. I was even tempted to have my parents try one but I decided to spare them the pain and just throw them away. My palate and throat felt like they had been sprayed with CO2 and the pain lasted for several minutes.

anonymous said...

and yes it hurt to breathe in as well. Hot food did nothing to help the pain

Tod said...

DUDE - these things kill your throat if you bite into them, crunch them up, then swallow. Dont breath through your mouth. WOW, it is painful.

Meet me in St Louie said...

Agreed. The pain was ridiculous. I agree with one of the others that commented when they said they almost had a panic attack when they bit into the mint. The entire back of my throat was burning and tight and it absolutely freaked me out. Nothing made it better either. After about 5-10 minutes the pain subsided. Will not use these again. They're ridiculous.

Jason Bathurst said...

I am glad to read other's had painful experiences! I bought a pack of these recently and have been just sucking on them, but today I bit into on not thinking and my mouth was in pain for about 15 minutes! It was extremely irritated, couldn't breath through my mouth and even my teeth hurt! These mints should be taken off the shelves! I literally have a headache now and took great pleasure in throwing the rest of the package IN THE TRASH! DO NOT BUY THESE MINTS!

vanceA said...

Oh my. That was awful. I have bitten into these mints before but this time it hurt so bad I thought I was going to pass out. I got sweaty and thank goodness I wasn't driving. Apparently some of the mints have large unmixed particles of the mint flavoring. Nasty painful experience.

Dan said...

Same thing here! This is ridiculous!I was at work when happend and I could have an accident.

Meg said...

Same thing happened to me this evening at work and I have almost finished the container so I am not sure why I just now had this reaction. Fire/ice in my throat, jaw, glands and ears that water made it worse and breathing intensified the pain. I was sweating because of the intensity of the pain. I will never buy these again and am shocked a comany would continue to sell such a product.

Seeohh said...

I am glad you made a review about this I want other people to know about the pain after biting into this! I was at work and i ate one while i was in an old elevator and i bit it!!! Oh man i was in that elevator rolling on the floor crying over the pain and I was breathing through my mouth so IT MADE IT WORST. There was no one there and not even a camera!! It was so scary!!!! it must have been like 10 minute me panicking inside the elevator like i was going to die or something!!! then i decide to breathe through my nose and try to calm down until it went away! Oh man that was such a scary situation... Anyways you can dissolve it in your mouth to prevent the pain.

Joanna said...

It happened to me at work while talking to a client. Had to excuse myself and drank some water which made it worse. Was doubled over in pain. Our nurse saw me and was about to do the heimlich on me! Pain subsided in about 10 minutes. Went straight to the box to read if there were any warnings (there isn't) Can NOT believe this product is on the market. Would not want a child (or anyone else) to experience what I did!

Unknown said...

i LOVE the pain! We all go back for more!
Brilliant mints!!!

The Memphis Steinbrechers said...

On hold with Hershey's right now...holy cow that hurt!!! Didn't know what was happening...need my voice for my living, and began thinking that I am glad my lt disability policy is paid up.